Friday, August 17, 2012

Paper tastes better when you're young...



As I'm typing this, I'm singing super girly songs to Haiden; but, he doesn't care. He is in the midst of eating and battling paper. I swear, he is the most joyous thing in my day to day routines. Don't get me wrong, I love my husband...but I doubt I would be smiling ear to ear if Zach were to be drooling all over paper. Every day Haiden is just growing before our eyes. He is finally rolling over for us to see, as well as in his sleep. Every morning this passed week I have gone in to get him and he is either sleeping soundly on his belly, playing on his side, or bawling because he is on his belly. I can't believe that this month is half way over, and that means he is almost 7 months!!! Half the time I still feel pregnant lol. I can't wait for him to start talking though...he understands sign language (which I'm looking into taking classes for more vocabulary) and he tries, we think, to sign to us. The sign for 'milk' he has known for a while, and if you do it he starts kicking and smiling out of pure glee. He has also started to slam his fist down on his leg, which would seem like nothing to most people who have little ones (it's a normal developmental step) but when Haiden does it, it means 'milk'! I'm so glad our hard work at learning and using the signs is starting to take effect. 

We have been on a few big boy adventures:
Haiden out grew his infant stroller so we got a big boy one! That is convertible to grow with him as he grows, and changes into a booster seat once he is big enough to be out of a car seat.
We went to Biloxi and Haiden got to fly an airplane that was broken...but he still rocked out in it and even turned the wheel! It was one of the cutest things ever.
Haiden and I went to the grocery store and it was raining, and since he now gets to sit in the car seat, and we hadn't received our shopping cart cover, I ran inside to get out of the rain and the only dry cart around was the big boy truck one! He again had a blast, and sat very contently trying so hard to reach the wheel. 
Haiden is so excited about exploring the world around him.

I have stopped training for the time being for the half marathon. Haiden is super allergic to mosquito bites, and since you can't put bug spray on him, of on me so it doesn't get in his mouth, we can't go outside for any length of time. After we got back from Biloxi, where Zach will finally get his tooth next month, we went right to the doctor here. Haiden's entire foot had swelled up to almost double its normal size and had little yellow blisters all around it, and he had another bite on his side that was doing the same thing. He was prescribed ointment to relieve the pain as well as Benadryl. So far the bites look like they are getting better, but not by much :/ I have tried going to the gym, but Haiden has been a minion and won't let me stay for long. So for the time being I am just doing a few exercises around the house.  Hopefully we will get back to training once it gets cooler out side and not so rainy, as well as seeing how well the medicine works. 

I have also started to do little craft things around the house, to see about selling potentially. This is my meditation and sanctuary for being home bound for the most part. I am also going to start a little catalog where I will have a holiday cooking section, for specialty desserts for people to have over the holidays and for parties. I will also make holiday wreaths and decorations. There will also be a ribbon tin section, as well as scarfs and purses, and candle votives, all made from recycled products :) I would love to get into carpentry or restoring furniture with a touch of my crafty painting skills. I'm also getting back into art work, right now I'm making an owl collection, made out of different medias and paper. 

Ravioli with Sauteed Butternut Squash
2 TBS canola oil
1/2 medium butternut squash, peeled/cut into 1/2 inch pieces (I used an entire one)
salt/pepper
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 TBS thyme
1 16 oz package frozen ravioli (I used cheese)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

1. Heat oil in large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the squash, season with salt and pepper and cook, covered, stir occasionally for 8 minutes.
2. Add thyme and garlic, cook uncovered, tossing occasionally until squash is tender and beginning to brown, 2-3 minutes more. 
3. Meanwhile cook ravioli according to package directions. Transfer ravioli to plate and top with squash mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

So this is a very simple and yet gourmet delicious meal! I've never really been a fan of sweet potatoes, but I love sweet potato fries. We have tried it several times to incorporate sweet potatoes into our diet, but there is just something about them...maybe seasoning them with sugars just makes me want to gag. But butternut squash, as well as yellow and summer squash will totally be regular menu items, so simple and delicious!! I still need to get a good spaghetti squash to make (the last and only one we got here was rotten inside). 
Pork Ragu
1 28 oz whole tomato drained
4 cloves garlic
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tsp oregano
salt/pepper
2-1/2 lb pork shoulder, trimmed and quartered
12 oz pappardelle or wide egg noodle
1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped

1. In 5-6 qt slow cooker, combine tomato, garlic, carrots, onion, wine, oregano and salt/pepper. Add pork and cook 6-8 hours low, 4-5 hours high. 
2. 20 minutes before serving, cook pasta. Break up pork mix, stir, and serve over noodles and sprinkle with Parmesan (optional).
 Sunny Eggs
Make eggs sunny side up, put over toast and add sunflower seeds!! This would also be great with a nice layer of hummus over the toast. This was my breakfast this morning and it was oh so good!!

After a year of serious craziness, Zach and I have celebrated our one year anniversary!! We are going to be going to Pensacola this weekend, to have our 'date night'. Zach's mom is driving up to NOLA right now, to accompany us as we exchange our own written vows on the beach tomorrow night! She will be graciously taking care of Haiden for the night while Zach and I get to have our first alone evening since Haiden has been born. I cannot wait to eat our wedding cake, neither Zach and I really wanted to keep it, because we thought it would be totally gross by now, but the cake lady said it would hold up if it was wrapped correctly, so whoever wrapped our cake, better have done a great job :) I've been looking forward to the cake since our wedding night when I realized how amazing it was, and that I had only gotten the one small bite when we cut the cake. Zach had gotten a few pieces of his grooms chocolate cheese cake by the end of the night :/ I totally missed out. 

For all those married and making it passed that first year, this song goes out to all of you. It started playing as I started typing this and I had to go back and listen to it again...Don't Give Up on love and always make sure you are putting in the effort and passion you want to receive. So I guess even if you found love, don't let it pass you up, life is too short to let anything slip away. Whether it be friendship, a job opportunity, that college application, moving where the wind takes you, or love...I say go for it!! Try everything you want to try and Don't Give Up.
I Won't Give Up: Jason Mraz

When I look into your eyes
It's like watching the night sky
Or a beautiful sunrise
Well, there's so much they hold
And just like them old stars
I see that you've come so far
To be right where you are
How old is your soul?

Well, I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up

And when you're needing your space
To do some navigating
I'll be here patiently waiting
To see what you find

'Cause even the stars they burn
Some even fall to the earth
We've got a lot to learn
God knows we're worth it
No, I won't give up

I don't wanna be someone who walks away so easily
I'm here to stay and make the difference that I can make
Our differences they do a lot to teach us how to use
The tools and gifts we got yeah, we got a lot at stake
And in the end, you're still my friend at least we did intend
For us to work we didn't break, we didn't burn
We had to learn how to bend without the world caving in
I had to learn what I've got, and what I'm not
And who I am

I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up
Still looking up.

I won't give up on us (no I'm not giving up)
God knows I'm tough enough (I am tough, I am loved)
We've got a lot to learn (we're alive, we are loved)
God knows we're worth it (and we're worth it)

I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up

Here's to looking up to the next 50 and more years!

  


No comments:

Post a Comment